Friday, August 1, 2014

Strike, Donations and the Book of the New Sun!

such strike, wow

Greetings,

     Optiluiz here again after quite some time. My scanner still hasn't been fixed, so I have to borrow my girlfriend's. (Thanks Annie!) Anyway, the comic was my explanation for writer's block. Sometimes the character's just don't want to do anything, hence the strike. but now, onto blog news...

     My extended vacation is finally over, but I promise that I'll keep posting as regularily as possible. Toast finally made his introduction, and we're hoping to review a lot more around here. Remember, comment with any suggestions! Also, we've finally set up a donation button so you readers can help us make the blog even better! Current goals are our own domain name, and some design updates. So, if you can spare some cash, we'd totally like to use it. And now, to this month's most important detail...

Severian rules, yeah!

     I've finally finished the Book of the New Sun, by Gene Wolfe. All I can say is "Holy shit." Actually, I can say a lot more. This has turned out to be my new favourite book, and it's simply amazing. Who would have thought that the story of an exiled torturer travelling the peculiar lands of a dying earth with religious undertones could be so engaging? The characters are memorable, the story itself is incredible and the writing is strange yet hypnotizing.

     The actual book is divided into four parts, Shadow of the Torturer, Claw of the Conciliator, Sword of the Lictor and finally, Citadel of the Autarch. My favourite was the third, although Terminus Est bei- Sorry, I won't spoil it. Just don't go in expecting this to be as simple as Star Wars or something more Tolkien-esque. This story works on much higher (or perhaps much deeper) levels, with Severian, the protagonist, being somewhat akin to a modern-day goth Christ-figure, dressed in fuligin (the colour darker than black!).

     But I think I've said enough about this book. You all should read it, this is pretty much the next Bible, only more entertaining and with more pain and sufferi-actually, it's about the same in the last respect. I guess I'll leave you with an inspired song, and I hope that everyone has a great weekend. And my the New Sun come upon us soon.







Chainsaw cheers,

Optiluiz out.

PS: They actually invented real-life fuligin a few weeks back, isn't that awesome???

No comments:

Post a Comment